A geofence is a predefined set of boundaries that can be generated to add additional custom information to a map. It can also be set to trigger an alert and notification when a device enters or exits a geofenced area.
The geofence option is on the main toolbar, located on the left of the platform. If you click on Geofence, it will display all current geofences. If you want to add a new geofence, select Add new geofence at the bottom of the window.
A new window opens where you can create your geofence.
- Choose a name for the new geofence
- Set the status of the geofence as active or inactive. Inactive geofences DO NOT trigger alerts.
- Descriptions can be included if you want to add extra information
- Set whether it's exclusive or inclusive. Exclusive geofences will trigger an alert if a device enters the area, inclusive geofences will trigger an alert if a device leaves the area
- Choose the shape of the geofence (polygon, circle, path or box)
- Polygon: a two-dimensional shape formed with straight lines, closing in a loop to form a closed chain or circuit.
- Circle: a circle is initially drawn, which can then be reshaped to your required shape
- Box: a square is initially drawn, which can then be reshaped to accommodate your desired shape.
- Path: when selecting Path, a new field is displayed where the user will need to add the width of the path. This is located just above the Edit Shape options.
- Geofences can be assigned to Groups. Click on the icon to assign groups to a Geofence.
- If the device is fitted to a vehicle, minimum and maximum speeds can be applied to the geofence, triggering a speed alarm if the driver goes outside of that range [Currently not supported].
- Click on map to start drawing and double-click to finish drawing the geofence shape.
- Editing shape options are available: Re-shape allows you to reform the shape, Drag allows you to move its destination, Rotate will move the shape around on an axis, and Resize allows you to increase or decrease the size of the geofence. Make sure to click on the lozenge next to the shape on the main GRID screen, otherwise, you will just be moving the map screen and not the geofence.
- Save to confirm the geofence or cancel to discard any changes.